Question of the Day
Q: What are some important things to remember about closing day?
A: There are several. The following to-do list can help save you a few headaches and keep the closing on track:
• Keep extra money in your account. Something unexpected can pop up during the closing that will require more money out of your pocket. Take your checkbook. Even better, find out how much you will need to pay and write a certified check for the total amount.
• Take your loan commitment letter. Use it to verify loan approval in case of a mistake or misunderstanding with the lender.
• Take your contract to purchase. Pull it out if something a little suspicious comes up.
• Take your personal ID. A driver’s license or other personal identification will due.
• Do a before-closing inspection. It is always a good idea, when possible, to walk through the property to make a list of any problems.
• Utilities. Arrange in advance to have the water and electric meters read on closing day and the service switched to your name to prevent interrupted service. The same applies for the fuel tank.
Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2013. All rights reserved.